Green Initiatives began when the district’s environmental policy was created in 2013. Representatives from each department came together to form the Earth Action Committee, promoting and supporting environmental awareness for our district, our members, and our community. Our goal as a district is to become more environmentally conscious, efficiently utilize our resources, reduce waste, and promote programs and community opportunities that support these policies.
Working individually or as a community and making simple lifestyle changes contributes to environmental conservation and can make a huge difference.
Project Updates: Summer Projects – Over the Summer Superintendent of Parks & Facilities Ireland and his team worked many hours placing and watering the beautiful baskets you see around town. Superintendent Ireland purchased a new gator that allows them to complete the job of watering faster and easier and helps the district by reducing time and manpower to get the job done while beautifying our town. These changes will help reduce our carbon footprint and save much needed energy and funds for the district.
- First Annual Fall Park Clean Up Day at Sesqui/Kiwanis Park on Wednesday, October 4, at 1:00pm
- Pumpkin Collection Save the Date is set for Friday, November 2, from 9am – 2pm. We collect pumpkins to be donated to the annual Pumpkin Smash Event and will have a truck in our back parking lot clearly marked for this event.
- Holiday Light recycling will be available November through the end of January.
- Warrenville Park District recycle station is available for donation during office hours and is in the Recreation Center Lower-Level Entry. The Recycle Station currently accepting Eyeglasses, Ink Jet Toner Cartridges, plastic bottles and plastic grocery bags.
- The Knights of Columbus Shoe Drive collects New and Gently Used Shoes, on behalf of Share your Soles year-round.
- NEW! Cradles to Crayons – Accepts New School & Art Supplies, Socks, Hygiene Items, New & Gently Used Coats, Clothing, Nursey items, Pajamas and Books. Coming Soon! – they also offer Special short-term collections for specific causes.
What can you do to help? Start with the smallest of changes: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
- Reduce-Water consumption, Use of Plastics and Unplug to Save Energy
- Reuse-Before you toss it-Consider if those items may have another use for you or someone else.
- Recycle-Proper recycling saves so many items from the landfills
- Lead by Example for the next generation
- Environmental Policy
- Winfield Township Recycling Extravaganza on Saturday, September 30, from 9am – Noon
Have a program, idea or event to share, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org